Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Prayers of the People for Pentecost

This is one of my first pastoral prayers, written many years ago. It's not as good as I remembered, but I also remember my earnestness and anxiety as a fresh young "minister" delivering this prayer.

I don't remember if I borrowed anything from anyone -- I don't think so. But if I did and if you recoginze a phrase as yours, please let me know and I will give credit where credit is due.


Almighty God, Creator of all things,
For fifty days have we celebrated the fullness of the mystery of your revealed love.
See your people gather in prayer, open to receive the Spirit's flame.
Speak through us, O Lord,
that others may listen,
and the very nature of the world be changed.
Lord in your mercy; hear our prayer.

Yahweh, Center us in your love
that our work might be for justice.
Lift the weariness of this life so,
that we may rise and dance, dance again to your great song of life.
Lord in your mercy; hear our prayer

Lord of Life and Love,
Fill us with your life-giving breath, your Ruah so that we may feel
the fire of your Spirit deep inside our chests,
its warmth diffusing throughout our whole being;
strengthen our faith that we might abide in your presence, to do your work,
comforting us and sustaining us when that work is hard, and lonely, and long.
Lord in your mercy; hear our prayer

Adonai, Fill our voices with your heavenly song, Let your beauty shine forth.
Let your holy fire shine forth from these eyes of ours,
that we might enlighten the darkness of these times,
and glimpse the birth of your new creation,
Lord in your mercy; hear our prayer

Jesus our Messiah, See your people gather in prayer, open to receive the Spirit's flame.
May it come to rest in our hearts and disperse the divisions of word and tongue.
With one voice and one song may we praise your name in joy and thanksgiving.
Lord in your mercy; hear our prayer

And burn, Spirit, with your fire,
burn away the little idols we’ve made in our own image,
those things we’ve looked to for security, for peace, for happiness.
Burn a clear path for our repentance,
that no obstacles might stand in the way of our embracing the truth of the good news for our lives and for the world.
Then we can rejoice and worship and dance in the joy of the truth, and then, too, will the world see in us a more faithful and compelling witness.
Lord in your mercy; hear our prayer

Spirit of the living God, fall on me;
Spirit of the living God, move me;
Spirit of the living God, fill me;
Spirit of the living God, seal me.
Spirit of the living God, consecrate me to do your will,
Spirit of the living God,create in me a soul burning with Your endless Love and
Seal my soul as Your own, that Your reflection in me may be a light for all to see.

All of this we pray, in the name of the Son, who, with the Father, sent You, our comforter, the Spirit of Holy Adoption, into our hearts that we might truly pray, -- Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name...

No comments: