Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Evening Prayer -- Lament for a Tsunami

“Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your descendants after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth." And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will look upon it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth."

What happened to your promises?
You have drowned the world again.
The day after the waters of birth
Bring hope to the world
You snatch it away with waters of chaos
And your sea swallows up your people.

Am I to be Bildad again?
How long will you speak chaos?
Were you not to bring forth order?
God, I believed that you swept across those waters,
And spoke peace
and yet
The dead mock me.
Doth God pervert justice?
God!
We are but nothing?
They become yesterday – their days
On this Earth are becoming nothing but a shadow.

Our hope is cut off
Our trust but a spider’s web.

How long will it be ere ye make an end of words?
Mark, and afterwards we will speak.

Wherefore are we counted as beasts,
and reputed vile in your sight?

He teareth himself in his anger:
shall the earth be forsaken for thee?
and shall the rock be removed out of his place?

The light shall be dark in his tabernacle,
and his candle shall be put out with him.

The steps of his strength shall be straitened,
and his own counsel shall cast him down.

For he is cast into a net by his own feet,
and he walketh upon a snare.


My God! Have you forsaken us?

-- Theresa Coleman

No comments: