Saturday, July 09, 2005

I relate to Rebecca

I've been reading the lectionary text for this week -- and since we are in the midst of a Genesis series, I've read and re-read the Jacob and Esau story. My friend Dave thinks about the sibling rivalry. I dwell with Rebecca -- the mother of the twins. She feels the fighting of two possibilities within her. The verse reads:

Genesis 25:22 The children struggled together within her; and she said, "If it is to be this way, why do I live?" So she went to inquire of the LORD.

She is ready to give birth to two children, each an individual with his own possibilities and opportunities -- two opportunities to love and nourish. Yet she doesn't give them equal time -- she plays favorites and chooses the scholar. One will be stronger than the other, one will rule.

Thing that make me go "Hmmmm...."

No comments: