Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Morning Prayer -- Bread of Heaven and Hippolytus

Arglwydd, arwain trwy'r anialwch,
Fi, bererin gwael ei wedd,
Nad oes ynof nerth na bywyd
Fel yn gorwedd yn y bedd:
Hollalluog, Hollalluog,
Ydyw'r Un a'm cwyd i'r lan.
Ydyw'r Un a'm cwyd i'r lan


Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
Hold me with thy powerful hand:
Bread of heaven,
Feed me now and evermore
Feed me now and evermore.
-- Hymn known as Cwn Rhondda (Welch, anon)

John 6:35, 51
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."


We give you thanks, O God,
through your beloved Child Jesus Christ,
whom you have sent us in the last days as Savior,
Redeemer and Messenger of your will.

He is your Word, inseparable from you,
through whom you have created everything
and in whom you find your delight.
You sent him from heaven into the womb of a Virgin.
He was conceived and became flesh,
he manifested himself as your Son,
born of the Spirit and the Virgin.
He did your will, and,
to win for you a holy people,
he stretched out his hands in suffering to rescue from
suffering those who believe in you.

When he was about
to surrender himself
to voluntary suffering in order
to destroy death,
to break the devil's chains,
to tread hell underfoot,
to pour out his light upon the just,
to establish the covenant, and manifest resurrection,

he took bread, gave you thanks and said:
"Take, eat, this is my body which is broken for you."

In like manner for the cup, he said:
"This is my blood which is poured out for you. When you do this, do it in memory of me."

Remembering, therefore, your death and your resurrection, we offer you the
bread and the wine, we thank you for having judged us worthy to stand before
you and serve you.

And we pray you to send you Holy Spirit on the offering of your holy Church,
to bring together in unity all those who receive it.
May they be filled with the Holy Spirit
who strengthens their faith in the truth.
May we be able thus to praise and glorify you through your Child, Jesus Christ.

Through him glory to you and honor, to the Father and the Son, with the Holy
Spirit, in your holy Church, now and forever! Amen.
-- From the Anaphora of Hippolytus

No comments: