Friday, August 03, 2012

Morning Prayer - Psalm 78 and a Prayer of St. Augustine

Psalm 78

  • 23 God gave orders to the skies above,
  • opened heaven’s doors,
  • 24 and rained manna on them so they could eat.
  • He gave them the very grain of heaven!
  • 25 Each person ate the bread of the powerful ones;
  • God sent provisions to satisfy them.
  • 26 God set the east wind moving across the skies
  • and drove the south wind by his strength.
  • 27 He rained meat on them as if it were dust in the air;
  • he rained as many birds as the sand on the seashore!
  • 28 God brought the birds down in the center of their camp,
  • all around their dwellings.
  • 29 So they ate and were completely satisfied;
  • God gave them exactly what they had craved.
  • 30 But they didn’t stop craving—
  • even with the food still in their mouths!



     Lord Jesus, Let Me Know Myself (Domine Iesu, Noverim me)
Lord Jesus, let me know myself and know Thee,
And desire nothing save only Thee.
Let me hate myself and love Thee.
Let me do everything for the sake of Thee.
Let me humble myself and exalt Thee.
Let me think of nothing except Thee.
Let me die to myself and live in Thee.
Let me accept whatever happens as from Thee.
Let me banish self and follow Thee,
And ever desire to follow Thee.
Let me fly from myself and take refuge in Thee,
That I may deserve to be defended by Thee.
Let me fear for myself, let me fear Thee,
And let me be among those who are chosen by Thee.
Let me distrust myself and put my trust in Thee.
Let me be willing to obey for the sake of Thee.
Let me cling to nothing save only to Thee,
And let me be poor because of Thee.
Look upon me, that I may love Thee.
Call me that I may see Thee,
And for ever enjoy Thee. Amen.

No comments: