Friday, March 10, 2006

One of those flashes of insight

I was typing up my Craddock notes (trying to make complete sentences (a hard task for me right now)) and I came across one of my favorite quotes:

H. Richard Niebuhr’s comment on the theology of liberal Protestantism: “A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministrations of a Christ without a cross.”

And I had a flash -- it's the message that Joel Osteen preaches! I went to the Lakewood Church website a while back and I had to dig around for the words "God" and "Jesus." They just aren't there. But the words "Joel Osteen" and "Ministries" are everywhere. There's no sin or judgement or even kingdom -- much less a Christ on a Cross -- suffering.

BUT Niebuhr's comment was made about the LIBERAL wing of the church -- and Osteen appeals to the conservative right. Wow!

No comments: