Sunday, January 09, 2005

The Theology from the Back Seat

On the daily rounds of school/karate/church/grocery store, from the back seat, by an 8 year old:

Her: Mommy, Mommy? Can I have a bunny? Bunnies are cute, and soft and cuddly.
(singing song of own composing)
Bunny, bunny bunny, you are so funny, sunny, bunny, cute, cute, cute, meow.

Her: Mommy, Mommy? I want a bunny real bad. Do we have to wait until Doodlecat is dead? I don’t want Doodlecat to die, but I want a bunny. We can keep it in the backyard in a special cage made just for bunnies. They make cages just for that! Wow. Just for bunnies. Daddy said God made bunnies able to multiply from birth. I had to wait until (dramatic voice) 3rd Grade! OH OH OH!! Mommy!! Make sure the cage is WOLF-PROOF. Wolves really really like to EAT bunnies. (I am thinking – Wolves in Atlanta? And then trying not to snicker.)

Me: Honey, I will make extra special sure that it’s wolf-proof.

Her: And weasel proof too Mommy.

Me: and weasel proof too.

Her: Mommy why did God make cats want to eat bunnies?

Me: (frozen thought time) Uhh….

Her: You know, I think that God loves cats AND bunnies, but something went wrong and they don’t like each other. Bunnies are scared of cats and cats eat bunnies. That’s Ba-a-a-ad. I’m going to ask God about that one day.

Me: (am I off the hook??)

Her: Mommy, if cats and bunnies could live together and sleep together, wouldn’t the world be wonderful? Maybe one day, God will fix things and cats and bunnies and (dramatic voice) EVEN WOLVES can live together. That would be (dramatic voice) WONDERFUL.
(singing song of own composing)
Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful, bunny, bunny, bunny, funny, funny, funny, meow.

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the Mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."



2 comments:

Michael said...

That was (dramatic voice) WONDERFUL!

I take all the help I can get from my back seat drivers.

Take Care
Michael

Mike Morrell said...

That is really awesome. Heh. And thanks for linking to Sites Unseen . I will be linking your well-written blog.

Whereabouts in Atlanta are you? At what church? I'm sure I could just dig around some more and see...I'm in Douglasville myself.