Thursday, April 16, 2009

Everyone Deserves A Roof



I Love Tiny Houses. Maybe a better phrase than "tiny houses" is "human sized housing." I will admit that I love BIG spaces as well. Huge spaces appeal to my sense of drama, but when I want to be still and quiet and not dance around in sock feet sliding on slick wood floors, I want a human sized space.

I believe strongly in the dignity of each and every human being. I believe strongly in every human having the basics necessary for human life -- food, clothing, shelter, medical care and education. I am intrigued by several ideas: sustainable housing, recycled housing, modular housing.

I found this company this week: EDAR, which stands for Everyone Deserves A Roof. From their website:
EDAR (Everyone Deserves A Roof) is a 501(c)(3) charity that provides unique mobile shelters to those living on the streets all around us. Each EDAR is a four-wheeled mobile unit which carries belongings and facilitates recycling during the day and which unfolds into a special, framed tent-like sleeping enclosure with a bed at night.
This company captures my imagination. A way to give a homeless person ("urban outdoorsmen" to some; "shelter resistant" to others) dignity; housing that is what they need for the moment. It's not a perfect solution, but it's something. I can imagine it's just a step along the way; it's not a real house or a permanent solution, but it's better than a shopping cart covered with garbage bags.

No comments: