Thursday, April 16, 2009

New Pasta Recipe

Originally made last week of things in the pantry/refrigerator. It's similar to a traditional Italian recipe. Enjoy!

Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes, Peas and Prosciutto

Chop an onion and dice the Prosciutto (about 1/2 pound -- this week I substituted 8 slices bacon). Brown it together in some olive oil until nice and crispy (not TOO crispy). Deglaze pan with some wine. I used about 1 cup of a nice Monteagle blush (Sunset Blush, to be exact). Add a bit of crushed garlic, black pepper and basil. Last week, it was fresh and nicely chopped. This week I used dried -- a copious amount. I also added a bit of salt. Dice three fresh tomatoes. Last week, I peeled them; this week I didn't bother. Add some fresh peas. Last week, they were freshly shelled English peas; this week frozen Green Giant in a butter sauce. Next comes a cup and a half (or so) of heavy cream and some Asiago cheese, grated. When it starts to bubble, add some penne pasta and toss gently. Grate some fresh Parmesan on top. Divine. I would eat this sauce over almost anything -- or just all by itself. It's probably a heart attack in a pan, but it's so very good.

I also baked a loaf of fresh bread last week and thought about a salad. I'm working on a goat-cheese, dried cranberry and walnut salad made with spinach greens, caramelized onions and raspberry vinaigrette, but never got around to it this week.

No comments: