Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Evening Prayer

Again, as evening's shadow falls,
We gather in these hallowed walls;
And vesper hymn and vesper prayer
Rise mingling on the holy air.

-- Samuel Longfellow, Vespers, 1859




I will sing of your steadfast love, O Lord, forever;
   with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations.
I declare that your steadfast love is established forever;
   your faithfulness is as firm as the heavens.
You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
   I have sworn to my servant David:
‘I will establish your descendants forever,
   and build your throne for all generations.’” Selah
Let the heavens praise your wonders,
   O Lord, your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones.
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?
   Who among the heavenly beings is like the Lord,
a God feared in the council of the holy ones,
   great and awesome above all that are around him?
 -- Psalm 89 NRSV


Almighty God,
  the light of a new star in heaven heralded your saving love.
Let the light of your salvation dawn in our hearts
  and keep them always open to your life-giving grace.
[We make our prayer] through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
  who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
  God for ever and ever.
Amen.



*Note: Evening Prayer is gathered from many sources; I draw from Oremus.org, Mission St. Clare and http://www.universalis.com/. To them I own thanks.

No comments: