In light of the last posting, I'm doing the Friday Five.
1. In what kind of environment do you sleep best? (e.g. amount of light and noise, temperature, number of pillows, breathe-right strip, sleeping in the buff, etc.) My own bed. Now. One extra-firm, extra loft pillow, clean sheets, one blanket, one pillow, dark, quiet, ceiling fan on, tee-shirt, cool.
2. How much sleep do you need to feel consistently well-rested? More than I'm getting now. About 8 to 9 hours.
How much can you get by on? I'm getting by on about 4 on the weeekdays and MUCH more on weekends.
What are the consequences when you don't get enough? Grumpy, headache.
3. Night owl or morning person? Night owl, most definitely.
4. Favorite cure for insomnia. In this order: midnight walk followed by a sit on the front porch, warm milk, hot bath while drinking lots of fluids, relaxation techniques, Ambien.
5. To snooze or not to snooze? Why or why not? Yes, power napping is FANTASTIC. Laying down for 10 to 20 minutes can help a lot. NEVER more than a half an hour because I just become grumpier.
The most important thing I've learned: dehydration can cause insominia. If you are having problems falling asleep, it might be a symptom of dehydration. Drink lots of water. Yes, you may have to get up and go to the bathroom, but that's better than having to stay up all night. Also, use the 30 minutes before going to bed to slow down -- I use prayer. Sit in a quiet, dark place (no TV) and use the time to pray and think about the good things that have happened during the day. DO NOT start worrying about tomorrow. There's time for that later. Just be grateful for the good stuff.