Old Church all decked out for the 4th of July. Every year, Oxford has a big parade that ends with a community picnic on the grounds of Old Church. More about Old Church from the Historical Marker in the park.
"Old Church," central section built in 1841 (two wings added 1878), more than any other building represents the ties between Oxford, Emory and methodism. Commencement exercises were first held here in 1843 and thereafter this was the scene of great commencements, orations and sermons. Here during the great religious awakening of the 1850's, Young J. Allen, Class of '58, whom the Chinese called Lin Lo Chih and the Church called "The Man Who Seeded China," decided to become a foreign missionary. On Thanksgiving Day 1880, Dr. Atticus G. Haygood delivered his famous sermon, "The New South."