Friday, November 23, 2007

Buy Nothing Day



We are, indeed, buying nothing today. I actually don't want for anything -- except for salt, I need some salt. And I'm running low on flour. But other than a handful of groceries, I want for NOTHING. And those groceries are not necessary for my continuing existence on this planet, at this point, it's just something that would be nice to have.

The young'ns have been window shopping at Amazon today, but interestingly enough, it was not very easy for them to come up with a "Wish List" for Christmas. Chaos wants a Wacom Tablet so that she can do more animation and drawing. Entropy couldn't think of a single thing except for maybe a Wii game. We want for nothing.

I wish the same could be said for the others on this planet. There are those who want for basics: food, shelter, clothing and clean water. I'm sending my list to people who ask: I want a Llama for a Peruvian family or a hive of bees for a family in Mexico (Heifer International.) Or a sink for a Habitat family, or clean water for someone in Bolivia.

Other than that, I want prayer and your presence at a Christmas service somewhere. I want people to live into that pledge to give God of their prayers, presence, gifts and service.

So I'm bagging up some clothes to give away and I'm going to put some labels on books to give away at the hospital.

Peace out, y'all.

No comments: