Thursday, May 11, 2006

Morning Prayer

Entropy is sick today. VERY bad croupy cough. Of course, since last Fall and the rheumatic fever, I'm paranoid about her health. So we are at home today and I am praying she's better by Monday and the festival of homies (Festival of Homiletics, for those not on the RevGal ring).

Precious is the heart of love;
may, at length, such hearts be ours;
God, please send down from above
your love and truth divine.
And may they cleanse our willing souls
of earthly ills and make them whole;
for Christ did come to share our toil
and will not spurn our prayers.


From Psalm 90
15 Call upon me in the day of trouble; *
I will deliver you, and you shall honor me."
16 But to the wicked God says: *
"Why do you recite my statutes,
and take my covenant upon your lips;
17 Since you refuse discipline, *
and toss my words behind your back?
18 When you see a thief, you make him your friend, *
and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
19 You have loosed your lips for evil, *
and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
20 You are always speaking evil of your brother *
and slandering your own mother's son.
21 These things you have done, and I kept still, *
and you thought that I am like you."
22 "I have made my accusation; *
I have put my case in order before your eyes.
23 Consider this well, you who forget God, *
lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
24 Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving honors me; *
but to those who keep in my way will I show the salvation of God."

Good and Gracious God,
You are the beginning and end.
You are the creator and beginning of our existance.
You have commanded us to love our enemies.
God, that is a hard teaching.
Help me to love them.
Help me to pray for them.
Lead them and us from prejudice to truth
deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge
I want to pray for Justice -- but will wait for your time.
In your good time I know you will enable us all to stand reconciled before you

Good and Gracious God,
you forgave your enemies while suffering shame and death
Strengthen those who suffer for the sake of conscience;
when they are suffering and hurt, save them from speaking in hate
when they are rejected, save them from bitterness
when they feel imprisoned and helpless, save them from despair
And help those of us who stand at the sidelines
to have grace to respect their witness and to discern the truth,
that our church and our society may be cleansed and strengthened.

Good and Gracious God,
from you comes every good and perfect gift:
Send down your Spirit down upon our people, our ministers, our clergy, and upon the congregations committed to their care
Send your healthful Spirit of grace upon them
and pour upon them the continual dew of your blessing.
Grant this, O Lord, for the honor of our Advocate and Mediator.

Good and Gracious God,
You are the Good Shepherd of your sheep
you gather the lambs in your arms and carry them in your bosom
I commend to your loving care my child.
Relieve her pain, guard her from all danger, restore to her your gifts of gladness and strength,
and raise this child up to a life full of your grace and glory.
for your dear Name's sake. Amen.

No comments: