Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Excellent Article about "Quitting Church"

With ever shrinking congregations, Julia Duin's book seems like a good read. A few quotes:

People want their needs met. I don't think that's a bad thing, but I was really attacked on a recent radio show for suggesting churches should be more willing to cater to some pretty obvious needs. Like, I was asked what singles - an underserved group if there ever was one in church life - need, and I said, "To get married." Pastors in other countries, e.g. India, see matchmaking as part of their job description but here in the States, it's every believer for him or herself.

Relevancy means speaking to the true battles people are facing in terms of depression, exhaustion, joblessness, inability to connect with God, etc. I do not see most pastors at all in touch with how the majority of their listeners have no idea how to hear from God. This should be a top priority.

Relevancy is understanding what your typical parishioner goes through; everything from killer rush hours to family breakdowns. One wonders if pastors lead real lives. I think many are isolated from what the rest of us face; thus, I rarely if ever take notes in church any more, because there's rarely anything insightful in the typical sermon.

No comments: