Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Morning Prayer -- Christians, Awake!

I've had a very persistant headache for the last few days; that along with a persistant nose bleed has keep me down. I even had a coughing fit and nosebleed while I was reading the Bible in the pulpit on Sunday. That was a new and exciting event I would never want to repeat!

The Christmas rush is on. I had hoped to avoid this -- I had hoped to enjoy the Christmas season. But I have decided to enjoy what I can of it. This week at church is particularly busy: UMW party, UMW brunch, Breakfast with Santa and the Cantata. Lots to do this week!

In the busy-ness of the season, perhaps it is more important than ever to remember to pray. Here is my offering for the day.


Christians, awake! salute the happy morn,
whereon the Savior of the world was born;
rise to adore the mystery of love,
which hosts of angels chanted from above:
with them the joyful tidings first begun
of God incarnate and the Virgin's Son.


O may we keep and ponder in our mind
God's wondrous love in saving lost mankind;
trace we the Babe, who hath retrieved our loss,
from his poor manger to his bitter cross;
tread in his steps, assisted by his grace,
till man's first heavenly state again takes place.



Merciful God, who sent your messengers the prophets to preach repentance and prepare the way for our salvation: Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins, that we may greet with joy the coming of Jesus Christ our Redeemer.

God, the author of peace and lover of concord, to know you is eternal life and to serve you is perfect freedom: Defend us, your humble servants, in all assaults of our enemies; that we, surely trusting in your defense, may not fear the power of any adversaries; through the might of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments: