Monday, December 13, 2010

Reading

I enjoy reading almost as much as I enjoy chocolate. Both give my spirits a lift and both are things I don't indulge in often enough. Well, reading at least.

I've picked up a couple of books to read over Christmas: Missy Tippens "His Forever Love" and "A Forever Christmas." I met Missy a couple of years ago at a District Christmas party and I must say I've enjoyed her work very much.

I've also picked up a Father Tim book by Jan Karon, some Kelley Armstrong (yes, Witchy/Vampire stuff -- another secret pleasure!) but the book I'm looking most forward to is Marcus Borg's new novel, "Putting Away Childish Things."

Now he admits in the foreword that he's not a novelist; but he is a good writer and a clear thinker. I believe the book that resonated the most to me in the previous decade was "The Heart of Christianity." (sidebar: the last couple of years that book would be Sonny Brewer's "Poet of Tolstoy Park.")  I'm on page 20 or so and already I am thinking.

I suppose books that I enjoy the most do one of two things: either they make me think more, or I can forget about thinking and just enjoy the ride.  Balance in all things!

No comments: