Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Morning Prayer

The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.
-- M. Scott Peck

True vocation joins self and service; it comes from the place where your deepest gladness, your passion, meets the world's deepest need.
-- paraphrased from Fredrick Buechner

"Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
-- Howard Thurman

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.
-- Frederick Douglass

The next day John was back at his post with two disciples, who were watching. He looked up, saw Jesus walking nearby, and said, "Here he is, God's Passover Lamb." The two disciples heard him and went after Jesus. Jesus looked over his shoulder and said to them, "What are you after?" They said, "Rabbi" (which means "Teacher"), "where are you staying?" He replied, "Come along and see for yourself."
-- John 1:35-39 (The Message)

Dearest and most Holy God,
There are days where I am not settled. Where my body and mind are restless and I do not rest comfortable. Ease my tension, my uneasiness. Strip away the parts of life that make me uncomfortable which are not healthy for me -- I can name a few -- jealousy, envy, being territorial, being prideful. Let me rest in You. Keep those things that make me uncomfortable that are healthy -- a sense of social justice, of being fair to the disadvantaged. Keep me focused on that outside myself and not dwell on the pettiness within myself. Help me be your servant here on earth. Let my hands be Your hands, let my feet be Your feet. In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments: