Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Evening Prayer

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

I need Thy presence every passing hour.
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.
--Words: Henry Lyte, 1847

89 O LORD, your word is everlasting; *
it stands firm in the heavens.
90 Your faithfulness remains from one generation to another; *
you established the earth, and it abides.
91 By your decree these continue to this day, *
for all things are your servants.
92 If my delight had not been in your law, *
I should have perished in my affliction.
93 I will never forget your commandments, *
because by them you give me life.
94 I am yours; oh, that you would save me! *
for I study your commandments.
95 Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me, *
I will apply my mind to your decrees.
96 I see that all things come to an end, *
but your commandment has no bounds.

-- Psalm 119

Luke 13:10-17 (NRSV)

10 Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. 11 And just then there appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years. She was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight. 12 When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, 'Woman, you are set free from your ailment.' 13 When he laid his hands on her, immediately she stood up straight and began praising God.
-- Luke 13

Almighty and most merciful God,
it is only by your faithfulness that your people know of faithfulness
It is only by your service that your people know of service.
It is only by your example that we know fullness of life.
It is only by your touch that we know of true healing.

You are an almighty and everlasting God,
Your Spirit is our advocate and help.
Help us stand straight and tall, for your sake.
Hear our prayers, not just for ourselves but for the whole body of your people, for your sake
Help us find our vocation and passion so that we may truly serve you, for your sake.

God of peace,
You have taught us that in returning and rest our hope in your presence we will be saved
In resting we will be healed,
In resting we will become straight and tall,
In resting we will be renewed,
In resting we will know You in the stillness of the night.
In stillness and in quietness You will be our strength:
By the might of your Spirit lift us -- raise us up, we pray, to your presence, where we may be still and know that you are God; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.
(A Prayer of John Wesley)

No comments: