Thursday, January 11, 2007

Today and This Sunday

Today is the first choir practice in my new church (that's really an old church) in quite a while. The music program never seemed to be huge -- much of the music library is from the 1960s to 1982 or so -- and so I'm starting out really really simple. I haven't been the choir director in 22 years (yes, I WAS a child prodigy!) and have a certain amount of nervousness.

I'm also preaching for the first time this Sunday -- and feel free enough to really preach to this context. So I'm a little nervous about that. Butterflies are not bad -- I just know that the first time in preaching class, I almost freaked myself out -- I even got dizzy. So, I'm going to do the deep breathing thing a lot and hand it all over.

So, off to choir practice! I am going to do something out of the hymnal this Sunday, Tallis' Canon (a really nice arrangement) for next Sunday, "Be Thou My Vision," "Down to the River to Pray" and "The Gift of Love" for later. All simple unison or two part harmony. I'm going to work on technique mostly for the next few weeks -- how to breathe, how to stand, how to enuciate. Basic but essential.

A little prayer would be welcome, too.

No comments: