Friday, February 01, 2008

Things That Make Me Happy -- Friday Edition

And for which I am grateful.
  • Friends at choir who share my love and enthusiasm for music.
  • My accompanist who is also a friend.
  • Hot tea with lemon. (Or tea with cream. NEVER hot tea with lemon and cream.)
  • Ecclesiastes and John.
  • Star Trek episodes in the afternoon.
  • Being able to play music anywhere I am -- iPod, CD's, really kickin' speakers in the living room.
  • Microwave ovens.
  • Clean panties. (This is for Mindy)
  • Long hot soaks in the bathtub.
  • Books. Any and all.
  • Glass and other sparkly things.
I think this is my last day to do this. I've needed an attitude adjustment and this has helped. This time of year can be such a downer; there seems to be no end in sight. Gray moods; gray skies. The trees are a study of gray and black trace-work on a gray sky; even the little birds that are wintering over are gray. The world today seems to me to be a study in shades of gray. But it occurs to me that black and white are sometimes harsh colors; gray is soft. I think of Lent being the "gray" season -- I know that the official liturgical color is purple, but I think gray suits me better. Gray is the color of the ashes. I can't believe Ash Wednesday is next week! Time to prepare for Lent. The traditional thing is to "give something up" for Lent. I'm thinking rather of "taking something on" instead. What? I don't know yet. I'm thinking.

No comments: