Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 5

I have made a big life-style change.  A decision that literally will stick with me the rest of my life.  On Jan 13, I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy.  It's taken me 15 years to get to this point, but I finally decided that my obesity was more life threatening than the surgery.



I started the journey in Nov 2011 when I attended an information seminar from Floyd Baratrics.  I pursued the idea of the surgery with fits and starts until I got serious in July 2013.  I just had enough with the weight.  By the time I started the two week pre-op diet Jan 1 (propitious day, eh?), I weighed the heaviest I have ever weighed in my life.  I lost 8 pounds.  I have lost an additional 11 as of this morning, making it a 19 pound weight loss.  I'm OK with that - I'm not feeling like it's "real" yet, until I see it stay off and I get down another 27 pounds.  I don't know why, but that weight will make it seem "real."

The surgery was more intense than I anticipated.  I guess I'm a "pie in the sky" kind of person.  The recovery is taking longer than I wanted - which makes me mad which makes me push which makes me overextend -- and I end up worse than if I hadn't pushed.


No comments: