Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Contemplating the Year

Looking back, I see that I've made some changes this year. On the home front, I have all boxes of books out of the living areas, for instance. I've helped the girls get their rooms in order. I've had the bedroom painted. I've organized my closet. There is much work yet to do in the house -- I'm thinking about just getting rid of ALL the books in the garage. This would be a big, big step for me. I have this emotional attachment to my books -- and I can't think about just dumping them. I would like some money; that would make me feel better. But getting rid of the Estate stuff out of the garage and the books (and maybe the yard equipment) would allow us to put some exercise equipment and matting down in the garage -- and build a baby dojang. The kids want a big TV in the corner and a stereo system, too. Sounds good to me -- but for this to happen, the books have to go.

This year, we also have two baby kitties -- one not so baby anymore and one still quite young. They have brought much joy to us this year. I have fallen in love with them; with Critter, especially. I don't know how we did without them.

This year, we have two new churches -- and what a blessing they have been. I miss the old people to some extent, but I have loved the opportunity to serve. I don't know how we did without these churches!

Next year, I want to finish up with the Big Purge in this house. I want to finish getting my house in order -- to finish with the estates and to organize what needs to be organized (that would be the sewing room, the garage and the basement.) I want to work on my weight -- both in a direct way and an indirect way -- I want to live a healthier lifestyle. I want to learn to really play the Theremin. To do this, of course, means that I have to FINISH the Theremin.

This push to get rid of stuff, to get into better shape, to improve my mind is essentially a spiritual journey -- in its essence, all three are the same journey. As it says in "The Thunder Perfect Mind" from the Nag Hammadi:
For what is inside of you is what is outside of you,
and the one who fashions you on the outside
is the one who shaped the inside of you.
And what you see outside of you, you see inside of you;
it is visible and it is your garment.


The central thesis for my "Theology of Space" is indeed this -- Unless the exterior life reflects the interior and the interior live reflects the exterior, you live in a cognitive dissonance; you are living in conflict. I have absolutely no problem spending an hour or two a day in contemplation and prayer, attending to my interior life. However, I don't spend that time working on the total exterior life; my physical shape, my grooming habits, my living spaces and my creative nature. So that will be my goal this year -- either to become a complete intellectual, spiritual and emotional slob or to get my exterior life in line with my interior.

Note: (OK, I'm not a complete slob - but more slobby that I would like...)

No comments: