Friday, December 19, 2008

So : musings and morning prayer

I am going to have something appear in the UM Reporter. But it won't be me, but my kitchy Last Supper Lunchbox Communion Kit. A means of grace in a very mundane container -- but isn't that all the means of grace?



At your feet, O Christ, we lay
your own gift of this new day;
Doubt of what it holds in store
Makes us crave your aid the more;
Even in a time of loss,
Mark, it Savior, with your Cross.

Yes, we would your Word embrace,
Live each moment on your grace,
All ourselves to you consign,
Fold up all our wills in yours,
Think, and speak, and do, and be
Simply that which pleases you.
--
William Bright

1 I love you, O LORD my strength, *
O LORD my stronghold, my crag, and my haven.
2 My God, my rock in whom I put my trust, *
my shield, the horn of my salvation, and my refuge;
you are worthy of praise.
3 I will call upon the LORD, *
and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
-- Psalm 18

Luke 24:36-43

36And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. 37But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. 38And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? 39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. 40And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. 41And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 42And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43And he took it, and did eat before them.

Lord
Sometimes Communion feels so much like Last Supper
That I want to celebrate First Breakfast with you -- eating fish and honeycomb.
Let me not dwell on things past,
But on thing here and now and
Hope with expectant heart for those things to come.
I pray in your Son's Holy Name,
Amen.

(note: my husband and I often joke about start a new church called "The Church of the First Breakfast" and eat together broiled fish and honeycomb.)

No comments: