Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Morning Prayer

Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD.
Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.
I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.
Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

-- Psalm 130 (KJV)

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[j] who[k] have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

-- Romans 8:26-30 (NIV)

Lord, out of the depths I do indeed cry to you. The depths of my own despair, the depths of anxiety, for I am indeed drowned. Yet I know that you can dry up the seas and make the depths of the sea the way for Your redeemed to cross over to You. You can dry up the great waters of the deep, still the movements found in chaos and disorder, and make them whole, redeemed and a bridge. I am today De Produndis -- in the deep waters of chaos. God, hear my voice and listen to my prayer. Hear my cry and answer me.

Lord, out of the depths I do indeed cry to you. And I know of your forgivness, I know of your chesed -- Your loving kindness. I recite the Psalms and keep your Words upon my lips and await the coolness of Your hand on my fevered soul -- the sweetness of Your presence -- I await for You. My soul waits for You more than they who watch for the morning -- yes, more than they who watch for the morning. I remember your steadfast love and your grace and I wait for You -- and I long for Your presence.

God I know that with you there is hope -- because of your past faithfulness and with your love that passes all human understanding. With You, there is great power to redeem and I know that you will redeem us from all our inquities.

Forgive my sin -- forgive my sharp tongue and short temper. Forgive my alienation from you and from my friends. I pray that You will help me calm and still my soul, like a child with her mother, like a child being rocked in the arms by a heavenly parent. Help me to avoid all ambition and pride -- help me to appear before you with humility, love, devotion and pure and simple trust. Hear my prayers, Lord. And in Your mercy, grant them. Amen.

No comments: