Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Morning Prayer

Cry for help, when griefs assail you,
good friends fail you, life seems hopeless, death appears.
One whose child knew deep affliction,
crucifixion,
ever waits to dry your tears.

Wake my soul with all things living
thanks be giving to the Source of life and day
Sunlight comes and gone confusion,
night's illusion, like the starlight
fades away.


Give ear, O my people, to my teaching;
incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings from of old,
things that we have heard and known,
that our ancestors have told us.
We will not hide them from their children;
we will tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done.

He established a decree in Jacob,
and appointed a law in Israel,
which he commanded our ancestors
to teach to their children;
that the next generation might know them,
the children yet unborn,
and rise up and tell them to their children,
so that they should set their hope in God,
and not forget the works of God,
but keep his commandments;
and that they should not be like their ancestors,
a stubborn and rebellious generation,
a generation whose heart was not steadfast,
whose spirit was not faithful to God.

21 Jesus left that place and went away to the district of Tyre and Sidon. 22 Just then a Canaanite woman from that region came out and started shouting, "Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is tormented by a demon." 23 But he did not answer her at all. And his disciples came and urged him, saying, "Send her away, for she keeps shouting after us." 24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." 25 But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." 26 He answered, "It is not fair to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs." 27 She said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." 28 Then Jesus answered her, "Woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed instantly.
--Matthew 15:21-28

Creator God, Redeemer God, Sustainer God,
You have spoken to me in dark parables -- things hard to see, things hard to hear, things hard to speak.
The darkness of these word swirl around me -- yet there is always hope. Even when Your people are not steadfast, You are always faithful. Even when Your people are stubborn and rebellious, You are full of Grace and Mercy. You still Your jealous hand; even when life seems hopeless and death is near, You comfort Your people.

Today I ask for crumbs. That's all I can ask for. Have mercy on me Lord; there are demons about. Lord, help me; Lord, help us Your children. You have the food that will nourish us with life eternal. Grant us healing and wholeness. It grieves me when I see your fractured church -- daily we crucify your Body -- yet You are merciful and daily You rise to new life. Pour your healing spirit on Your church. I pray for unity. I pray for peace. I pray for healing.

In the name of your crucified and resurrected Son, Jesus, the Christ, I pray. Amen.

No comments: