Friday, October 20, 2006

Morning Prayer

New every morning is the love
Our wakening and uprising prove;
Through sleep and darkness kindly brought,
Restored to life and pow'r and thought.

New mercies, each returning day,
Come down around us while we pray;
Old fears are gone, old sins forgiven,
New thoughts of God, new grace from heaven.

Hear us, O God, in your dear love,
Let our prayers rise to you above,
And help us, this and every day,
To live as truly as we pray.

-- Words: John Keble, (19thC) adapted

1 All wisdom is from the Lord,
and with him it remains forever.
2 The sand of the sea, the drops of rain,
and the days of eternity-who can count them?
3 The height of heaven, the breadth of the earth,
the abyss, and wisdom Ý-who can search them out?
4 Wisdom was created before all other things,
and prudent understanding from eternity.
6 The root of wisdom-to whom has it been revealed?
Her subtleties-who knows them?
8 There is but one who is wise, greatly to be feared,
seated upon his throne-the Lord.
9 It is he who created her;
he saw her and took her measure;
he poured her out upon all his works,
10 upon all the living according to his gift;
he lavished her upon those who love him.
Ecclesiasticus 1:1-10

Come, Holy Spirit, come
Come into my heart; draw close to me through you power,
O my God, and pour into me your love.
I await with trembling.

Preserve me, O Spirit,
From every Evil in this world,
Warm me, inflame me with your love,
And every pain will seem light to me.
My Creator, my sweet Lord, help me in all my actions.

No comments: