Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A Hymn for Reflection -- Bringing in the Sheaves

Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness,
Sowing in the noontide and the dewy eve;
Waiting for the harvest, and the time of reaping,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.

Refrain
Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,
Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,

Sowing in the sunshine, sowing in the shadows,
Fearing neither clouds nor winter’s chilling breeze;
By and by the harvest, and the labor ended,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.

Refrain

Going forth with weeping, sowing for the Master,
Though the loss sustained our spirit often grieves;
When our weeping’s over, He will bid us welcome,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.

Refrain



This is a hymn I remember from childhood that my Dad remembered from his childhood. It was one of the songs he would sing and whistle as he worked around the house, which is a habit that I adpoted. One of my children was really little and thought I was singing "Bringing in the Cheese." That tickled me.

Even though it's not in the Hymnal, but in the Cokesbury, I'm thinking about singing it in worship this week. The text is Luke 10:

After this the Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended to go. He said to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.

It's the story of the seventy, sent to 35 towns to proclaim the Kingdom.
I think I'll also select "Almost Persuaded" and "All to Jesus."


No comments: