Thursday, May 26, 2005

Dealing with Stuff

I’m a little angry right now. I bid on a camera on eBay – I’ve been wanting a Nikon D70 to replace my Nikon 8008 film camera and my Dimage digital. I’ve been shooting nothing but digital now for two years, it seemed a waste to have all those autofocus lenses just laying around….

And again, I typed a 9 instead of an 8 when I bid – my bad. But that’s OK. When the camera arrived, it was labeled “reconditioned.” That’s OK – I expected that. But the prism/viewfinder is skewed. Not OK. The viewfinder looks trapezoidal instead of rectangular. Definitely not OK. I called their customer service department. I want an exchange and was irritated that I can’t take this camera to Florida when I had planned in plenty of time. I offered to purchase another camera, pay the $10.00 for Saturday delivery if they would charge my card for another camera and then chargeback the price of the camera when they received the original camera. Instead, there was an elaborate bait-and-switch – somehow the salesperson wanted me to purchase a “pro-package” instead of this identical camera and it was going to cost me an additional $80.00. Plus shipping. It would have cost me maybe $130 all told.

Needless to say, I will not be returning to their website or eBay store for another purchase.

BTW, the Wesleyan Christian Advocate will be using one of my pictures on the front page for their next edition (June 2). Yeah! And I am going to carry my new camera to conference in a few weeks to take pictures for the paper. Yeah! It feels like it’s been so long since I had a real camera….. This kind of stuff drains my creative energy.

No comments: