Wednesday, May 18, 2005

James Cone was right

James Cone was right. (Well, I think it was James Cone. It wasn't Cornel West, to whom race matters.) I am now convinced that God is a big, overweight, middle-aged black woman and boy is she mad.

Several things have aided me in developing this opinion. I heard an interesting sermon at my progressive, liberal school in which the speaker did a very bad (but traditional) reading of Genesis 2. The exegesis was so very upsetting to me that for the first time, I almost got up and left the room. No one else felt the way I did -- but I was the only middle aged woman in the group. Had the speaker done the same type of traditional readings on some of the household codes in Paul's writing, he would have been blasted by the African Americans in the group. However, my point was not even understood to be a point. The reading is so ingrained in our society.

Second, I attended a conference recently in which a participant prayed using the phrase "Father God" repeatedly. He tsked, prayed "Father God we just...." and then a petition then a tsk then "Father God we just..." and so on and so on about a hundred times (slight exaggeration there). After the third repetition, I realize how a person who was abused by their father would feel by that repeated use of the phrase.

Third, I was privy to a conversation a while back where an abused woman had been told by her pastor "well, you just need to submit to your husband..." !!!! What!!!!

Then this last week, I witnessed the Good-Old-Boy network at work. It is disheartening. (Because this is not an anonymous blog, I can't blog about it.) And now I know that God is a big, overweight middle-aged black woman. And she is mad. She's got sparks flying from her eyes and she's a mama coming to look after her children. Watch out.

Here's something She's mad about.
And another.
And another.
And another.
And another.

No comments: