Monday, June 02, 2008

Schrodinger's Cats

humorous pictures
see more crazy cat pics

I find Physics a nice place to discover analogies that ring true to life. According to Wikipedia, "Physics is the science of matter and its motion as well as space and time - the science that deals with concepts such as force, energy, mass, and charge. Physics is an experimental science;it is the general analysis of nature. Its purpose is to understand how the world around us behaves."

Personally, I think we are always looking to understand how the world behaves. The Laws of Physics can help, even with people. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. True? When someone "acts" upon us, we tend to "react." Just watch two kids fight. It can become a perpetual motion machine. "She hit me!" "She hit me first!" And so on. I don't think I have to spell it all out.

I am always looking to make sense of this world; I am always looking to analyze. I don't know if that's a part of us all or just a part of my personality, but I am always striving to understand.

I've wanted to know how churches work; what makes them tick. I am now solidly of the opinion that 1) it's all about the relationships and 2) it's all about power/control. Part of this is good; part is very bad. It should be about God and God is all about the relationships. But it ends up being about US -- about having power and control over each other.

But there is freedom when one lets go of power and control. I don't know where I want to go with this -- I can't determine my direction when I control my speed; I don't know if the cat is dead or alive. I suppose what's important is the possibility of either. Can one measure health of a congregation without influencing that health? Can you determine the speed and velocity of the church? Can you measure direction?

No comments: