Thursday, October 20, 2005

Morning Prayer


Long enough, God–-
you've ignored me long enough.
I've looked at the back of your head
long enough. Long enough
I've carried this ton of trouble,
lived with a stomach full of pain.
Long enough my arrogant enemies
have looked down their noses at me.

Take a good look at me, God, my God:
I want to look life in the eye
so no enemy can get the best of me
or laugh when I fall on my face.
--from Psalm 13, The Message

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
--Romans 5:3-6 KJV

The one journey that ultimately matters is the journey into the place of stillness deep within one's self. To reach that place is to be home; to fail to reach it is to be forever restless. At the place of "central silence," one's own life and spirit are united with the life and spirit of God. There the fire of God's presence is experienced. The soul is immersed in love.
-- Elizabeth O'Connor:

When peace like a river, attendeth my way;
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.



God, some days are really hard. It's hard to always be strong by myself -- and I know that I cannot be strong without you. Keep me centered in You today. Physical weakness is hard. Worrying about tomorrow is very hard. Trying to take control of things I cannot control is exhausting. Help me to float in your presence -- help me to hand over those worries and troubles. Help me to be centered, like a dancer is centered in grace. Centered, she will not fall, she will not lose her balance, she cannot be shoved over. Center me in Your grace so that, even if I stumble, I will not fall headlong. Center me in your grace so that I can maintain balance in my life. Center me in your grace so that I cannot be shoved down by the troubles that assail me. Unite me with that grace and love. Unite me with your live and your spirit. Wash your peace over me so that I can say "It is well, it is well with my soul." This I pray in the name of your beloved Son. Amen

No comments: