Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A few Thoughts

Parallels: Mark 8:27-33 and Luke 9:18-22.

Son of Man -- Dan 7:13
"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. (NIV)

Peter/Rock -- Greek Petros/Petra -- a play on words. Interestingly enough, it works in Aramaic as well. “You are Kepha [or Cephas], and upon this kepha [rock] I will build ...”

This passage has long been used as the basis for Papal authority. Can that be ignored? Should it be ignored?

Seems to me there are two keys being offered to Peter, the rock. The key to bind; the key to loosen. The key to not forgive; the key to forgive. Interesting thought, that we as the church might NOT forgive. God hold ultimate forgiveness; do we hold the keys for that kind of salvation? Or is it that we need to practice what Dr. Laura would call "tough love" -- not letting people "get away" with their bad behavior. Holding them responsible for their actions.

Flow of the scripture:
Who am I? -- the Messiah
Good Answer! -- You now are my Rock!
Here are the Keys -- I'm going to build my church on you/on this
What are they keys for? -- to bind and to loosen

No comments: