Monday, August 11, 2008

Planning for the Fall

I have been reading Bishop Robert Schnase's Blog. He now lists my blog in his sidebar -- I am honored by that. I am reading (again) his book Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations. He has been a pastor and currently is bishop of the Missouri Area of the United Methodist Church. I find it compelling material and much more (shall we say) Methodist than Rick Warren's Purpose Driven material. The parallel between the books is there -- but the lines are indeed parallel and not identical.

I want to use two different books in my two congregations this year: Bishop Job's little book 3 Simple Rules and Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations. I believe that they will indeed build upon each other. The first is an expression of the General Rules of the UMC and the second is an expression of Wesley's acts (or works) of mercy and piety.

Other books I want to read: Paul Nixon’s I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church, Kennon L. Callahan's Small, Strong Congregations.



So what are you reading and what are you planning for this Fall?

No comments: