Friday, January 02, 2009

Morning Prayer -- Psalm 34

Awake, awake to love and work!
The lark is in the sky
the fields are wet with diamond dew
The worlds awake to cry
their praises to the Fount of Life
Christ Jesus passes by.

Come, let your voice be one with theirs
shout with the shout of praise
See how the giant sun soars up
God's gift for all your days!
So let the love of Jesus come
and set your soul ablaze.

To give and give, and give again,
as God's own grace is free
To spend yourself nor count the cost
To serve most gloriously
the God who gave all worlds that are
and all that are to be.

Music: Morning Song Kentucky Harmony (19thC)
Words: Geoffrey Studdert-Kennedy (20thC)

Psalm 34
1 I will always give thanks unto the Lord *
his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
2 My soul shall make her boast in the Lord *
the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.
3 O praise the Lord with me *
and let us magnify his Name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he heard me *
yea, he delivered me out of all my fear.
5 They had an eye unto him, and were lightened *
and their faces were not ashamed.
6 Lo, the poor crieth, and the Lord heareth him *
yea, and saveth him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord tarrieth round about them that fear him *
and delivereth them.
8 O taste, and see, how gracious the Lord is *
blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
9 O fear the Lord, ye that are his saints *
for they that fear him lack nothing.

Pro 24:13
My son, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.

Psa 119:103
How sweet are thy words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Exd 16:31
Now the house of Israel called its name manna; it was like coriander seed, white, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey.

Thank you for the taste of the Kingdom you have given me Lord.
The flakes of manna that have fallen into my life.
Thank you for the honey of the Word
That sweetens all that I do or say.
Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the Universe,
who brings forth the sweetness from the earth.
Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the Universe,
who made creation.
Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the Universe,
who has kept us alive
and preserved us and enabled us to reach this season.

In the Newness of this Year
Form me into what You will --
Shape me into a servant, a mother, a disicple.
Amen.

No comments: