Saturday, January 24, 2009

I Picked Up a Book

I picked up a book not too long ago -- "The Messiah Formerly Known as Jesus" by self acclaimed "Internet Theologian" Tom Breen (actually he calls himself THE Internet Theologian -- like the ONLY Internet Theologian -- gah). My opinion? Don't. It's irritating. He goes so far out of his way to be "hip" that whatever it is that he's trying to say gets lost. Yes, it's amusing and pointed and hip and trendy -- and it won't translate to next Thursday.

I picked it up initially in August -- I tried reading it again today -- and then put it in the "give away" pile. I wouldn't be surprised if this book made its way rapidly to the remainder table.

I now want something good to read; I don't care if it's fiction or nonfiction. I'm bored with the books I have (all 10,000 of them so that's quite a feat.) I'm going to re-read "The Sparrow" and "Children of God" by Mary Doria Russell because those books made me THINK. She's also written two I haven't read -- "A Thread of Grace" and "Dreamers of the Day." I also love "The Ordained" by Terence Faherty and have ordered a couple more books by him.

Now it's time to write my sermon for tomorrow --

No comments: