Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Morning Prayer -- Be Known to Us in Breaking Bread; St. Ephraim the Syrian

Be known to us in breaking bread,
But do not then depart;
Savior, abide with us, and spread
Thy table in our heart.

There eat with us in love divine;
Thy body and Thy blood,
That living bread, that heavenly wine,
Be our immortal food.

-- John Montgomery, 1825

As for me, I will live with integrity; *
redeem me, O LORD, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground; *
in the full assembly I will bless the LORD.
-- Psalm 26:11-12

22You were taught to put away your former way of life, your old self, corrupt and deluded by its lusts, 23and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24and to clothe yourselves with the new self, created according to the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. 25So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbors, for we are members of one another.
-- Eph 4: 22-25

Dearest Lord,
I look for you in prayer, for in you all things are known.
May I be enriched in you, for you are more than the riches in this world; riches that do not stand the test of time.

Let your chesed come to my assistance -- and may your grace defend me.
From your bounty pour your Spirit of restoration on my wounded soul.

I look for you before anything else and look for nothing but you,
knowing that all we seek will find.

In you we find all we need; bounty for the poor in spirit, joy for those who mourn,
healing for the wounded, consolation for all who grieve.

Accept the sacrifice fo my prayer, O our Lord, and grant to me your Love.
May I live in you, may I possess you instead of all else, for then all is mine.

Accept these prayers from me, O my God, Who hast descended to your children.

Accept the tears of this sinner and show mercy to the guilty.

Establish peace in my soul. Amen.

modeled after a prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian

No comments: