Monday, January 08, 2007

Quiet Time and New Year's resolution

I am not a New Year's Resolution kind of person. I want to think about things when I want to think about them. I guess that's why I'm not a RevGal Friday Five kind of person either.

But today, it does seem like a new day -- for various and sundry sorts of reasons. And I will say that during the Christmas break and rush, the New Year's rush and the conference last week, I was missing my quiet time.

It's called all sorts of things: prayer time, quiet time, contemplative time, whatever -- but it's necessary. We usually don't spend a long time in prayer unless it is intentional. I figure that I take time to be with my husband and build relationship -- a daily "let's really talk and not about laundry" time and we have intentional "dates" when we eliminate all distractions. We do this to build real and lasting relationship.

Why don't we do it with God? I tithe my resources to God -- how come it's so difficult to tithe a portion of my day to God? (It's really easier to write a check, now isn't it?? Be honest!)

To have a tithe of my waking time would be at least 1.5 hours. 90 minutes. So that's my goal. 90 minutes of quiet time for study, prayer and relationship building with God. Oh, yeah. And that doesn't include stuff I'm supposed to do; exegesis for papers, sermon writing and what not. Just time built into the schedule for sitting and listening in prayer and reflection. Lectio Divina type of stuff.

It's not going to be easy. Too many things will push their way into my consciousness -- I'm going to have to turn the cell phone and house phone off. But that is indeed my goal.

No comments: