Thursday, September 18, 2008

Some of my favorite pictures of Log Cabins


There are a few log homes on the internet that I have found that I love. There is this one from Hearthstone Homes. This is a big structure -- I don't need anything that big to begin with. What I love about this house is the authenticity of the furnishings and the color of the stain on the interior. The log widths are very nice -- these look to be a good 12 inches. I would love to do a cabin with reclaimed logs that are 12 to 20 inches wide. The chinking doesn't look harsh with this gray stain -- it looks almost a cream color. There isn't too much contrast.

This Great Room is lovely. The homespun coverlet material on the settee is fabulous. And the muted barn red of the painted trim is a nice pop of color. I don't have pieces like this -- I wish I did! But I do have three "Martha Washington" chairs that I love, a few windup clocks and some other small pieces. This room is what I consider an peaceful, balanced room. Some many times we do "Colonial" and it's really "Kitschy." This room is wonderful.

I would like an Inglenook in my home -- a "room within a room" around the fireplace. I think I would rather go with an Arts and Crafts design (after all, most of the antiques I own are Arts and Crafts rather than Colonial). But what I enjoy about this house is the blue-y, gray color of the logs. It makes for a serene backdrop for any design style.

No comments: