Monday, March 27, 2006

Morning Prayer

Wake my soul with all things living
thanks be giving to the Source of life and day
Sunlight comes and gone confusion,
night's illusion, like the starlight
fades away.

All your hopeful plans confessing
ask for blessing on that good which you would do
but if you should need correction, ask direction
pray for purpose
clear and new.

Cry for help, when griefs assail you,
good friends fail you, life seems hopeless, death appears.
One whose child knew deep affliction,
crucifixion,
ever waits to dry your tears.


Most merciful God, I confess that I have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what I have done, and by what I have left undone. I have not loved you with my whole heart; I have not loved my neighbors as myself. I am truly sorry and I humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and forgive me; that I may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, free me for joyful obedience.

God, I know I’m going to be busy today -- and today will be very long.
Help me not to be so busy that I miss the most important things -- that I care for your people as you care for them.
Help me not to be too busy listening to contentious and arguing voices
that I cannot hear your small still voice speaking.
Help me not to fail to listen first and not talk to those
who are in trouble or hurting.
Help me not to be too busy to sit still for a moment and be thankful.
Help me all through this day to remember that as I work
my hardest, sometimes I must be still. Amen.*

*Adapted from unknown source.

No comments: