Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Evening Prayer

O Savior Christ, you too as we;
You have been troubled, tempted, tried;
Your kind but searching glance can see
The very wounds that shame would hide.

Your touch has still its ancient power.
No word from you can fruitless fall;
Hear, in this solemn evening hour,
And in your mercy heal us all.

Words: Henry Twells, 1868

Psalm 10:1-10
Why do you stand so far off, O LORD, *
and hide yourself in time of trouble?

The wicked arrogantly persecute the poor, *
but they are trapped in the schemes they have devised.

The wicked boast of their heart's desire; *
the covetous curse and revile the LORD.

The wicked are so proud that they care not for God; *
their only thought is, "God does not matter."

Their ways are devious at all times;
your judgments are far above out of their sight; *
they defy all their enemies.

They say in their heart, "I shall not be shaken; *
no harm shall happen to me ever."

Their mouth is full of cursing, deceit, and oppression; *
under their tongue are mischief and wrong.

They lurk in ambush in public squares
and in secret places they murder the innocent; *
they spy out the helpless.

They lie in wait, like a lion in a covert;
they lie in wait to seize upon the lowly; *
they seize the lowly and drag them away in their net.

The innocent are broken and humbled before them; *
the helpless fall before their power.


Luke 8:47-48
When the woman saw that she could not remain hidden, she came trembling; and falling down before him, she declared in thepresence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed. He said to her, 'Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.'

God of peace,
You teach us that in returning and rest we will be saved,
Resting in quietness and confidence, you will be our strength:
By the might of your Spirit lift me, I pray, to your presence,
Where I may be still and know that you are God;

I pray that your grace may always precede me and follow me.
I pray that your light cut the clouds of darkness,
I pray that your presence be made know to me.
Be my light in the darkness, O Lord, and in your great mercy defend me from all perils and dangers of this night; for the love of your only Son, our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: