Thursday, April 10, 2008

Adventures in Theremin Design -- Videos

Teri of Clever Title Here (hey Teri!) suggested that I post these explaining what exactly a Theremin is -- so here they are:
This guy is from Lothar and the Hand People (that's a band...)


This lady (Clara Rockmore) was the first real virtuoso of the Theremin (other than Lev Theremin, himself.)


Excellent choice, Teri.

Here's a wonderfully fabulous website: Theremin World. Hours of information here.

I am not flush enough with cash at this point to purchase the Theremin in the first video -- it's about as much as a new computer... but the Moog Etherwave in kit form is quite affordable (or even built, for that matter.)

We are calculating frequencies today -- in a nice spreadsheet. (I have the overwhelming urge to yell out at random times, "What's the frequency, Kenneth?")

Tomorrow at 9:00 am, I will give a tour of SL in world, if anyone is interested. Email me or comment.


Edited:
Gordon Carlton noted:
That's Jon Bernhardt of The Lothars, a band named after the band Lothar and The Hand People. Thank you, Gordon. I'm still a newbie with this stuff.
Gordon is a fabulous musician as evidenced on his website here.

Here's a Youtube of Gordon's work. I find it highly nuanced, complex and expressive:

No comments: