Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Not thinking much

I'm not thinking much right now. It's a combination of summer heat, kids in the house 24/7, a mid-summer cleaning frenzy but I think mostly it's because of the number of deaths and funerals in the last few weeks. I just got word of another cousin's death at the age of 46 from cancer. I am attending a funeral this afternoon for a church member. It seems for the last 4 weeks I've been at a Wednesday funeral. I'm just numb right now. So if I haven't commented on your blog recently, this is probably the reason -- I just don't have any words right now.

I am going to spend some time cleaning the house and cooking good meals for my family. There really is something symbolic in my cleaning -- I am literally getting my house in order. I am also spending time petting on the children and cat, walking for my health, reading those books I really meant to read and cooking for long hours. Last night I cooked a full southern meal -- baked ham, butterpeas, fresh corn, white half-runner green beans with little red potatoes on top, a baked mac and cheese, cornbread, fresh home-grown tomatoes and strawberries with whipped cream. Tonight I am going to make a vegetable soup with some of the leftovers -- after I have my breakfast of cornbread in sweet milk.

I took my camera to the 4th of July fireworks at the mall -- but it was raining, we were too far away. Here's what I got;




It took us at least an hour to get home:


But the best shot of the night was the kids' umbrella in the headlights:


And here is the obligatory kitty cat picture:

No comments: