Thursday, April 21, 2005

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

The story behind the Chicken Salad Sandwich comment. It started at a UMW meeting last Fall. I attended and made the sandwiches. I used a recipe that had mandarin oranges, apples, grapes, walnuts, celery and rosemary chicken. I served it open faced on croissants. The comments:

"Well, look at this! Who does she think we are! A country club!"
"Doesn't she think she's Hoity-Toity."
"Fancy stuff doesn't impress us."
"What's wrong with just plain chicken salad? Isn't it good enough for her?"

This spring, I made the sandwiches again. But this time with just plain boiled chicken, mayo, celery, salt and pepper. On plain loaf bread.

"What! We're not good enough for her 'gourmet' cooking anymore?"
"I guess she just didn't want to bother, after all we're just the old women and not as *important* as other groups."
"Blah blah blah"

Sigh.

Now my husband will make the sandwiches -- wait! Not a good idea. I can hear the comments now...
Let's just order pizza.

No comments: