Friday, September 09, 2005

Morning Prayer

Precious is the heart of love;
may, at length, such hearts be ours;
God, please send down from above
your love and truth divine.
And may they cleanse our willing souls
of earthly ills and make them whole;
for Christ did come to share our toil
and will not spurn our prayers.

In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:
'I love to do your will, O my God;
your law is deep in my heart.'"
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;
behold, I did not restrain my lips;
and that, O LORD, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;
I have not concealed your love and faithfulness from the great congregation.
You are the LORD;
do not withhold your compassion from me;
let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,


Dearest Lord,
I do not understand your righteousness. It is beyond me. I do not understand your love. The depths of love with which you love your people is beyond me. Yet I thank you for them. I thank you for steeping me in your love. I thank you for the love by which you lift up your people. Let me speak of your love forever and ever. Let me be your loving hands here on earth.

We are being overwhelmed by people this week, God. People who have lost so very much. People who have lost homes and jobs and loved ones. People who do not understand why this has happened to them. Let my hands and my offerings show your love to them. Let my gifts that I give bless them a little. Lord, people are losing patience with each other. We are starting to put up walls and barriers again. We begin thinking in old thought patterns. Help us break away from the old way of thinking and put on the mind of Christ.

We give you thanks and for the heroic witnesses of your people, who, in a time of death and disaster, were steadfast in their care for the sick and the dying, and loved not their own lives. Inspire in us a like love and commitment to those in need, following the example of our Savior Jesus Christ; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: