Friday, September 16, 2005

Morning Prayer

Save me, O God,
for the waters have risen up to my neck.

I am sinking in deep mire,
and there is no firm ground for my feet.

I have come into deep waters,
and the torrent washes over me.

I have grown weary with my crying;
my throat is inflamed;
my eyes have failed from looking for my God.

As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;
your help, O God, will lift me up on high.

I will praise the Name of God in song;
I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.

This will please the LORD more than an offering of oxen,
more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.

'You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot. You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.'

The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.

There’s a song in every silence, seeking word and melody;
There’s a dawn in every darkness, bringing hope to you and me.
From the past will come the future; what it holds, a mystery,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.


Dearest Lord, You are God. You are the creator of all that is and ever will be. You looked upon this creation and called it good. You looked upon us humans and called us very good. Without you and your guidance, I know that we will never be able to please you. Direct us -- direct me in your ways. Direct us in all things and rule our hearts. The waters have overtaken us and flood our hearts and souls. The waters wash over me and undermine my footing. Help me make you my foundation and strength. Help my light shine out -- the light that comes from you and you alone. A city build on a hill cannot be hid. Help me stand strong and take courage in the fact that you are with me. Help me keep your Word on my lips and your love in my heart.

Give this world grace and peace and understanding. Give your people new strength to mount up with wings like eagles. Help us ride on the breath of dawn with your Spirit under our wings until the new day bursts forth from the clouds and we can forever live in your sunlight. Amen.

No comments: