Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Time Management and other stuff

This semester is getting to me. I haven't much control over when classes are offered -- I have a 5 hour class (!) that starts at 8:00 am Monday across town -- a 7:00 pm class that I teach at my house, a Tuesday afternoon class and a Tuesday 6:30 to 10:00 pm class, followed by a 9:30 am class on Wednesday and a 7:00 pm class on Wednesday. Then nothing on Thursday and Friday. It's really thrown off my equilibrium. They aren't hard classes -- the meeting times are difficult to fit into the schedule. I just can't hit a rhythm.

We've been processing Rita evacuees, now. This season has been very exhausting for our nation, as a whole. There is more depression being reported according to my Doctor friend. People also have been reacting to the extreme low pressure areas -- flare ups of MS, arthritis, sinus headaches, migraines. Along with the stress of all these people in such dire straits. I think I heard there are still 1500 evacuees in the World Congress Center. Our Cooperative Ministry is running out of food and clothing repeatedly. Everything I take is used almost immediately. I've talked to just a small number of the evacuees -- there is such despair and grief that I begin to worry about the volunteers working with them.

It's an unsettled world.

Even the kids are picking up on this. Chaos and Entropy need more Mommy time -- Chaos had another nightmare last night. I've stopped watching the news while they are in the room. They've seen enough.

So, I've started to manage my time more carefully. Blogging is not high on the list. Today I am writing papers and working on the things I can control -- my own personal environment: the laundry, the house, sorting books, cooking a dinner (wait -- it's Moe's night) -- I'll cook tomorrow. I'm taking all sorts of stuff to Goodwill today. Including another rug my neighbor threw away last night along with a ironing board. I'm going to see if the one in the garage will fit under the kitchen table. Hey! It's better than ending up in the landfill!

No comments: