Saturday, August 20, 2005

Evening Prayer

Lord, forgive me.
So many times I speak when I should be listening.
Help me listen to your children.
Help me to listen to your Word.
Help me to listen for your voice.

And yet,
So many times I am quiet when I should speak.
I should speak against the injustices in this world.
Help me to speak, I pray.
To be a voice for peace in the midst of suffering.
To be a voice for those who have no voice --
To be a voice for those who do not have the courage to speak.

Heal my woundedness -- heal my heart.
Fill me with your peace and let it dwell in me.
Fill me with compassion for those who suffer.
Fill me with your righteousness and your zeal for Justice.
Fill me with your love. Cover me with your love, God. Envelope me with your love.

Watch over this wicked old world tonight. Watch over those who are homeless. Watch over those who are spending the night in hospital waiting rooms. Watch over those who are ill. Watch over those who are well and yet sick at heart. Watch over those who do not yet know their need for you. Watch over children who are heartbroken. Keep watch.

Keep watch, dear Lord,
with those who work, or watch, or weep this night,
and give your angels charge over those who sleep.
Tend the sick, Lord Christ;
give rest to the weary,
bless the dying,
soothe the suffering,
pity the afflicted,
shield the joyous;
and all for your love's sake. Amen.

No comments: