Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Morning Prayer

In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; *
early in the morning I make my appeal and watch for you.

For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness, *
and evil cannot dwell with you.

Braggarts cannot stand in your sight; *
you hate all those who work wickedness.

You destroy those who speak lies; *
the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O LORD, you abhor.

But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy I will go into your house; *
I will bow down toward your holy temple in awe of you.

Lord, today I dwell in thoughts of your righteousness. I must confess that I do not understand it. Perhaps it is too large for me to grasp. Yet I find myself drawn to it. I want to know it, I want to dwell in it. I know I have a long way to go and I know that the path to true discipleship is not easy or painless. But I do know that your grace will be with me and sustain me. Help me discern the path. Be with me today as I go about my work. Help me to discern what is truly important and what is not. Help me to build relationships, not tear them down. Use my hands as your hands here on earth.

Almighty God, whose loving hand has given me all that I possess: Grant me grace that I may honor you with my substance, and, remembering the account which I must one day give, may be faithful stewards of your bounty, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments: