Saturday, August 13, 2005

Hospital Visits and Waiting Rooms

Three hospitals in two days -- people hurting yes, but mostly people being anxious. Not knowing how surgery will turn out, not knowing the progression of disease, not knowing what exactly the problem is, being alone, feeling alone, feeling abandoned. The human condition.

We went to the "Gospel of John" starring Brad Sherrill -- website is www.gospelofjohn.com. I've seen it I don't know how many times -- the Loving Husband has seen it at least 6 times and myself many many more. Everytime I experience it, something new hits my ears -- I see more interconnections in the text, I get shocked again by the story. The elemental nature of the text -- fire, water, spirit and earth came through to me last night. As well as the fact that John is such a testimony -- the language itself and the message.

I was struck again by the Old Testament allusions -- the raising up of the snake by Moses, the quotes of Isaiah, the interweaving of Psalm 22 in the passion narrative. I was struck again by how unique the testimony of this Gospel is -- no agony in the Garden -- the agony is elsewhere. No institution of communion at the last supper -- it's elsewhere. The pivot of the narrative in the Lazarus story.

But what really struck me was the phrase "eternal life." We hear it in the familiar John 3:16, but we find it also in John 6:56 "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." John contains the words "eternal life" 16 times. Why do we focus so much attention on John 3:16?

Off to the hospital...

No comments: